Thursday, October 16, 2008

mode not supported

Today, I welcomed a new member to the Chez DissolvedGirl family: Sammy. Sammy's brood have been living under my bed for two weeks, awaiting his arrival and their (hopefully) joyful reunion. When he arrived (in one of the biggest boxes I've ever seen), there was much smiling and crying. Geek Squad were on hand to get everyone hooked up, fill out the right paperwork and basically reunite me with the magical land of TV. Three hours later, here are all my disappointments:

1) Swedish people don't like electronic gadgets in their bookshelves. This is blatant segregationism, but what can I say? I have a lot of Swedish furniture and Japanese gadgets - apparently, never shall the twain meet.

2) The Wall of Terror is not a figment of my imagination - even Geek Squad commented on its ability to make men into boys again.

3) I HATE technology. I pay lots of money for pretty things - I simply want them to work. After Geek Squad left, everything stopped working. The screen kept saying "Mode not Supported" - what the hell does that mean?! After actually breaking down into tears - yes, I cried like a little boy in a sandbox, sue me - I simply left it all alone and went out for a burger. I came back and calmly tackled the problem again. Here I am - almost eleven hours after Sammy first rolled through my door and everything is FINALLY working.... right down to the PS3.

4) A good dongle fixes all. It's true.

5) I work best when no one is watching.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't the geek squad have 911? Hello, geeks, it no workie.

Malecasta said...

Yeah, I did that - they tried to walk me through some stuff only to conclude that they couldn't fix whatever the problem was over the phone and that they would have to come back. in two weeks. TWO WEEKS. I actually began wishing for a tube-TV.

Anonymous said...

2 weeks? What were the geeks doing, having a "Can't Buy Me Love" marathon? Darn, geeks and their root beer poker-a-thons.

DK

Malecasta said...

SERIOUSLY. I've gotten most of it to go, but I can't seem to play actual games on the PS3 - BluRay, no problemo though.