Monday, February 22, 2010

Now Playing: Crazy Heart


I saw this movie last week and have only just gotten a chance to sit down and review it.

Crazy Heart is pretty predictable. In nutshell: old codger on the brink of self-destruction must find a way to redeem himself before he fades into complete obscurity; enter woman. It reminded me of The Wrestler in many ways, complete with fantastic performances by leading man and supporting actress. I was also pretty surprised to see Colin Farrell and Robert Duvall put in time here too… and they were pretty good. The other compelling thing about the movie is the soundtrack and Jeff Bridges singing - who knew he was that good?

In the end, a nice movie, nothing more, nothing less: 3 out of 5 stars.

PS: cool poster!
***********

You know what movies like this are really good for? Taking away sound bites. Getting the dish over spaghetti afterwards, I am astounded to see otherwise clever, witty, intelligent women get sapped of their energy by not-so-clever/witty/intelligent women. So, we come away with this: one day at a time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

. . .and "Never too late."

I always contend that a great piece of art (be it painting, film, book, etc.)always has something for others to connect with, no matter who they are. Who would have thought that a movie about a "old codger on the brink of self-destruction" would have spoke to me? But it did and that's what makes it matter.

I don't know where my path will lead, but I am the master of my fate, captain of my soul. If I forgot that, I have no one to blame but myself.

Thanks.

DK

Malecasta said...

yet another movie sound bite... who says movies aren't relevant?