Saturday, June 05, 2010

Now Playing: Prince of Persia: sands of time

Yes, I actually wanted to watch Prince of Persia: Sands of Time; the fact that I randomly happened to wander into a showtime is another matter. Anyway, as it turns out, the movie is actually pretty entertaining (if a little obvious) - lots of potential for a franchise. Of course, I have a few questions:

1) Why do all movies that feature people of another culture choose to speak English with a British accent? I mean, does Jake Gyllenhaal really need to have a faux Oxfordian tongue?

2) Why did they choose to cast Jake in the first place? It's the Prince of freaking Persia so where are the brown dudes at? And whiel I'm asking this, where are the brown dudes? Seriously, this is the Middle East (read: camels, sandstorms, etc.).

3) *spoiler* Does every villian have to be bald and goateed? Is this an unwritten rule somewhere?

Despite these burning questions, it was still good. Scripting wasn't cheesy and the fight scene, while sometimes a bot close-quarters, were crisp. Drama was pretty good too (I actually found myself muttering, at one point, "press the button" over and over).

Great summer movie. 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: