Friday, March 18, 2011

DVD: Walking Dead

A zombie TV-series? In a world of vampire slayers and ghost whisperers, it was inevitable. AMC’s Walking Dead, based off the monthly Image comics, came out on BD last week and so, of course, a marathon ensued! AnCe, LilBro, Jadek and myself curled up on a lazy Sunday afternoon to down all 6 episode in one shot. Not a hard feat, it turns out. The show is excellent! Just enough blood guts and gore to keep it interesting and never veering away from its real strength: solid character development. Sure, some of the “twists” weren’t as surprising for the discerning viewer, but that was really besides the point.

I really like that there’s stuff to talk about afterwards, you know? I anticipate the Great Whispers Debate all summer. And I also like that there’s a solid deviation from the comic books, so fans will have some surprises to still look forward to. It was a lot fun and a lot of scary. I recommend it!

No comments: