Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Now Playing: Hanna

Watched Hanna on Sunday; I hadn't even heard of the movie until I caught  a preview for it on the flight back from Cuba.  Or, perhaps I had, but blocked it as one its "stars" is Eric-Fucking-Bana.  Since i didn't recognise him on the tiny air-plane screen, I just liked it without hating him and thus relegating the movie to the "no" pile. 

On to the movie, which I actually liked, despite EFB's presence.  Possibly because he wasn't in it as much as I'd feared or because Cate Blanchett and Saiorse Ronan's combined awesomeness overpowered his stink or because I really really liked the soundtrack.  Anyway, it was good.  It wasn't great, but it was good.

Plot-wise, it wasn't too bad.  Clearly, this is written to be open-ended, perhaps even franchise-starting.  Great casting in Ronan/Blanchett, who could almost be related (spoiler?  twist?  you'll see...).  The choice to keep things as ambiguous as possible until the very last moment is also a great one - I mean, i had no idea where they were, who they were or even when they were.  Very edgy and suspenseful.

The most vibrant and tense character of this film, however, goes uncredited: the soundtrack.  The Chemical Brothers do for Hanna what the Dust Brothers for Fight Club: make it awesome!  I have already listened to the soundtrack on loop and it's still fantastic. 

So, should you watch it?  Yeah, probably, but don't hurt yourself hurrying.  I think you can even watch this one at home, as I didn't get the sense that it was relying too much on big picture (though the soundscape would benefit from 5.1 setup, for sure.  3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: