Monday, March 19, 2012

Now Playing: John Carter


Last night, I ventured out of quarantine to the movie theatre for John Carter.  Based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' A Princess of Mars, I was a little leery of a Disneyfication of yet another classic.  I mean, they'd already renamed the work and toyed with the characters a little, but okay.  I'm up for some mindless movie mayhem after all the deep films we've been ingesting. 

It was okay.  I thought the story was paced a bit slow, but nothing terrible.  LilBro fell asleep complete with loud snores (much to giggleworthy delight of the girls sitting behind us).  I thought the special effects were done quite well, especially the interaction between the live action players and the CGI models.  Really well done.  (Who wouldn't love that cute Woola; I can see the stuffed versions versions of these on sale at the Disney store now...).  And Taylor Kitsch by the uber-cool (and relatively unknown) Lynn Collins.  had all his scenes stolen by the As an origin story, it's not bad.  We probably could have rented it.  3 out of stars.

No comments: