Thursday, April 05, 2012

mantra

Sometimes, I feel completely overwhelmed.  

Doesn't happen often.  

I like swimming in a big pond with sharp-toothed fishies,
 darting about, through the murky waters and the shimmering seaweed.  
I like it because it reminds of those dreams I had as a kid where I breathe underwater.  

But sometimes, 
just sometimes, 
I swallow a mouthful and end up 
gasping and choking and floundering.
I'm lost in the deep dark 
and I feel like I have nowhere to go 
and if I don't figure it out right away, 
I'm going to drown.

It is then, 
especially then, 
that I repeat my mantra:

Start where you are.  Use what you have.  Do what you can.

Over and over until I'm a calm little crab once again, 
crawling about the depths, 
shaping the wild ocean 
one snipped barnacle at a time.

2 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

I like your mantra. It's the source of creation.

I'm loving "Kevin". It's been a bit of a surprise. I only picked it up because it cost 50p. I usually avoid books with a lot of hype around them, but "Kevin" is good, it's thought-provoking.

Greetings from London.

Malecasta said...

Thanks Cubano.

I'm almost finished Kevin and it is one of the most unexpected books I've read in some time. The black-as-pitch humour is what is both the most unsettling and yet the most appropriate.

Thanks for popping by!