Tuesday, July 10, 2012

AnCe's luggage checklist

Seriously.  This is the handiest thing I've posted in years.

I travel.  It's a thing I do.  My luggage has been on borrowed time.  After coming back from Vegas the last time, some ramp rat tore the top handle (and my cute M&M luggage tag) clean off, ruining my favourite suitcase.  With Japan looming, there is no question that I need a new suitcase.  And since I do travel, it was time to make an investment.  I come from a long line of travellers: I have FIVE aunts who are retired air stewardesses.  Five.  I learned a few things from, but it mostly pertains to actual packing (I can fit a week anywhere into one small carry-on).  When it comes to luggage, I turned to AnCe.

Poppets, I shall now share with you her wisdom.


AnCe's Luggage Checklist

Exterior:
- No hard case luggage, only soft.  Hard luggage cracks and is heavier.
- Don’t go for any bag that advertises that it’s light-weight. There isn’t enough of a frame then, (especially not for the amount you (meaning me!) travel). The bag will more likely get crushed. It would work as a carry-on, but definitely not checked.
- Rubber feet on the non-handle side. So when you do carry it using the side handle and want to put it down, it’s the rubber feet touching the ground and not the fabric. You get less scuffing that way.
- Over sized main zipper. Really over sized, at least twice the size of a regular one. Plastic or metal is fine, though metal will last longer.

Fabric:
- Denier polyester nylon . Almost feels like it’s coated with plastic.
- Ballistic nylon is even better but that will cost you more.
- If you can find it, Cordura nylon is really good too, not quite ballistic but better priced.
- Also, you want a higher thread count, 1200 minimum is a good idea. Don’t go with anything that feels cloth-like. It’s less water- and stain- resistant.

Wheels:
- Rollerblade wheels
- Should be partially embedded within the luggage, which gives them more protection. Wheels that are completely outside of the case are way more exposed and more likely to break off. That seems to be the most popular style right now though.

Handles
- Should slide in and out
- Should have a button you need to press before it goes up or down. If you need to hit it to get it down, the pin mechanism that holds it in place will likely wear out quickly and then nothing keeps the handle upright and it will continuously slide back down.
- The extendible handle should have square bars, not round, and have a zippered covering for less exposure.

Interior:
- If the interior lining can be zippered out, that’s a bonus. It allows you to take it out and wash it then. Make sure there is a lining though, you don’t want any exposed screws ripping your clothing.
- Make sure there are straps in the interior so you can strap you clothing down. Less movement within the bag means less wrinkles.

Notes: Tumi and Brigs & Riley are great brands, but the most pricey. They are very well built and so are heavier than the average bag. They will last you decades though. Atlantic is a good name too, and more reasonably priced.

***
I pretty much got everything on this list except the zippers aren't quite as large (I hear AnCe's disapproving tsking already) and I forgot about the rubber feet opposite the wide-side handle.  Actually, that's not true - there was a perfect set of Air Canada luggage with all these item checks - but it only came in black.  Since I also wanted fairly noticeable luggage, that was a non-starter.  And if noticeable meant ugly, I was okay with that too.  Ironically, matching ugly luggage is hard to find.  Without further ado:


All that neon?  Yep, I'll be sure to see these coming a mile away.

No comments: