Tuesday, April 30, 2013

the briars

 In a complete turnabout from where I was the weekend prior, last weekend was spent at The Briars Resort & Spa. It’s a great getaway on the shores of Lake Simcoe, where you can golf, bike, swim, and hike to your heart’s content. I went with three friends (with whom I also happen to work) – I had travelled to Cuba with two of them, so I knew it was going to be a good time.

We got there Friday afternoon, after a leisurely drive up Woodbine Ave. Our ground floor room faced the lake and was conveniently situated across from the indoor hot tub/pool, next door to the bar and about thirty seconds from the restaurant. I recommend the Leacock Wing. Had a good walk about the ground before dinner, which was (and every meal, really) amazing. We wrapped up the evening learning euchre and playing hearts.

Saturday was spent exploring the area, with a stop to see the graves of Stephen Leacock and Mazo de la Roche. The girls went for a swim, while I (who had forgotten her swimsuit) took a book-nap before heading down to the spa for a mani/pedi. This was an overpriced experience and I would skip it next time – or heck, have our own spa in the room! After dinner, we outlasted the old folks on the dance floor, worked up a good sweat before salsa-ing back to bed.

Sunday was a quiet breakfast and book affair. After lunch, we took a brief room tour to see our options for returning. And I think I would return. Though, for a little more money, we could spend a week in Mexico. In any event, I guess it’s important to find a way to turn off from the world for a bit. I have realised this is why I run away to parents’ place – no computer, no cell, just food and laughs.

There’s talk of monthly retreats. My wallet couldn’t support that. But maybe a Saturday spent in bathrobes with home-made mud masks would be just as good.

No comments: