Monday, May 13, 2013

Now Playing: Iron Man 3

This review is very late in being posted – I watched Iron Man 3 over a week ago and just haven’t had a chance to put thoughts to keyboard. (It’s been a very busy few months for me, poppets, and I am sorry to see that our time together suffers because of it).

Anyway – a return to the world of RDJ's Tony Stark. My first reaction was “meh” – seriously. Perhaps it was because I had just watched Avengers again, a movie that was pretty amazing for its cast, plot, script, and effects. Maybe it’s because the first and second installments were so good, that this one felt a bit.. I don’t know, flat.
Let’s dissect: the effects were their usual awesome. The cast was excellent, with Guy Pearce and Ben Kingsley coming through in spades. Zack Snyder Shane Black actually delivers on this one, with tight directing and pacing. I think all my issues lie in the scripting and plot choices: the witty repartee seemed dull in comparison to Avengers and the scripting choice treatment for the Mandarin was very, very disappointing indeed.

If you’ve been following the franchise, of course you have to see it. I am still, however, only giving it a reluctant 3 out 5 stars.

No comments: