Sunday, June 09, 2013

Now Playing: Now You See Me

Whoops.  Completely forgot to review this last week.  I'm really getting terrible at this.

I've been quite looking forward to Now You See Me, what with its fab cast and relative originality.  Also: am a sucker for magic.  I mean, I had such vivid and detailed fantasies of being David Copperfield's assistant growing up, that I think I'm perpetually dismayed by the lack of abracadabra in my life. Also: DC is really old and I somehow thought that if you were magical, you wouldn't age.  Let down again.

NYSM didn't disappoint, however.  Fast-paced, clever, and defying the fourth wall every chance it got, it was really, well, fun.  The tricks were cute (and mostly explained); the outfits were sleek and cool.  But really, it was the cast that stole the show: Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, Dave Franco, Mark Ruffalo, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Caine.  Sweet baby Jebus.  Who did they leave out?

The only complaint I have is the way it ended...really?  I can't say anything without spoiling it, so I'll leave it to you to judge if you decide to watch it  It's definitely worth a rental: 3 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

Dan O. said...

The stacked cast is good with what they do, but the movie’s less concerned about them, and more about the twists and turns of the story. Most of which, don’t make much sense. Nice review.