Tuesday, December 23, 2008

getting my Martha on

For a girl who has forsaken all things domestic, I sure did a lot of baking this past little while. And cleaning. And other domestically-inclined things like laundry, ironing, bill-paying, etc. When I was growing up, I always envisioned I'd have a magical personal assistant who would take care of all these details in my life. I mean Selina Kyle had one, why can't I? I had imagined dinners at nice restaurants, classical music at home while I read books and drank wine, power suits and tight chignons. Alas. Real life is so very disappointing. So instead of spending my mini-vacation doing all those pseudo-glam things, I made many dozens of various cookies, at least three cakes and bucket loads of nimkis and cheesestraws, followed by a day of cleaning the kitchen and bathroom. Not a stemmed glass in sight.

I don't know when it happened, but my life took a distinct turn for the quiet side. I hate that I spend more time watching Friends than I do watching all those movies I've missed, that I drink more Fresca than I do Amaretto Sours, that reading only seems to happen during commercials and oven timers.

This has led to Resolution #2: Be More Glamourous. This will include things like:
- attend a cultural event at least once a month (TSO, Stratford, ROM… I'm looking at you);
- wear mascara, like a grownup;
- learn how to mix a cosmopolitan;
- dress more appropriately, like a grownup;
- read more than my Book Club books.

BTW, for those who weren't there, Resolution #1: Be More Green. I've already taken steps towards this Christmas (e-cards instead of paper cards, wrapped gifts in reusable bags instead of wrapping paper) and will be continuing the trend in the New Year. Some ideas?
- changed all my bills to paperless/online
- full-on recycling everything at home
- shopping at Bulk Barn to reduce packaging (and save money!)
- using cloth/heavy-plastic bags;
- buying refills for things like hand soap and makeup (thank you Yves Rocher and MAC for making these things possible)

I wonder how long this list will get before '09 gets rung in.

No comments: