Thursday, December 11, 2008

cinephile?

The Golden Globe nominations were announced today. I was rather looking forward to it - it's a way for me to reinforce the idea that, yes, I am a cinephile. For the Globes, I really only focus on the Best Picture category (since there are way to many categories for me to keep straight. So here's the list:

Best Picture (Drama):
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Frost/Nixon
- The Reader
- Revolutionary Road
- Slumdog Millionaire

Best Picture (Comedy or Musical):
- Burn After Reading
- Happy-Go-Lucky
- In Bruges
- Mamma Mia!
- Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Oh. My. God. I have seen ONE out of ten; even more shamefully, NONE of the Drama pics. I was shocked. What about all those movies I've devoured and rated? Surely I've watched something of consequence in the last 11 months? According to the Golden Globe people: no. So, with a heavy heart of disappointment in my own cinematic prowess, I began to look up the release dates for the movies. That's when I realised something: all these movies have December release dates; and those that have been already released are only in limited theatres. What the hell? There have been NO good movies all year? NONE? Do we only release award-calibre movies in December now? And what's with releasing movies on Christmas/Boxing Day? Most of us have families to entertain and malls to frequent.

Also, there are some conspicuous absentees: Traitor, The Dark Knight (drama) and Tropic Thunder (comedy) come to mind. Anyway, I've set up my alerts. Now I just need the company. So! Who wants to see Slumdog Millionaire? Better yet, who can find a local theatre that actually plays it?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How do they expect people to tune in to the show if they hardly have time to go out and watch the movie? Personally, if I haven't watched the movie, do I really care if it wins or not? Buh.

Dark Knight is getting a nod in the Best Supporting Actor catergory for Heath Ledger.

I read The Reader a long, long time ago and remembered it being slow and non-eventful. Vicky Christina Barcelona, I don't even remember it being released at the Coliseum/AMC ... only saw it playing at Empire 10.

Meh. I'll still tune in for the dresses.

FYI: the Word Verification is "ledger" - maybe it's a sign LOL

Malecasta said...

I totally agree - most of these movies have had very limited release. When did movies get so elitist?

Anonymous said...

Pish, true cinephiles are the ones going down to the Carlton every
2nd weekend to see something that isn't on every screen in suburbia. I haven't managed to fit in any T.dot movie runs this year, so I will probably have to hang my cinemanic head in shame.

DK