Sunday, August 17, 2008

Now Playing:Tropic Thunder

So, here's how big the rock I live under is: when I watched the trailer for Tropic Thunder, I didn't recognise Robert Downey Jr. Like, at all. I kept thinking "where have I seen this guy before?" I don't usually watch comedies in theatre - I find it a waste of my cheap movie passes. Most comedies can wait until they come out on DVD. The decision to watch TT was a last-minute "what do you want to do" decision (living across the street from Coliseum helps in these times). I didn't mind too much, however, since there was quite a lot of special effects and sweeping jungle scenes.

Casting was great - Jack Black makes a great proposition but it's his delivery that makes it hilarious; RDJr is his usual fab self; Nick Nolte was a nice surprise. But really, it was Les Grossman who stole the show. Considering who plays Mr. Grossman, I was shocked to actually laugh at the performance as much as I did. I won't spoil it for you as it was for me, but if you don't already know, try not to find out before you actually see it on screen.

Needless to say, the whole blackface thing was played so brilliantly, it didn't once seem offensive or exploitive; it was, in fact, addressed in one of the funniest exchanges I've seen on-screen. Let's face it: any scene ending in one person hopping away imitating a kangaroo has to elicit at least a chuckle. Also: "you never go full retard" - gold.

I don't know if I would give up my no-comedy-in-theatre stance wholly, but I am glad I watched the movie. For a comedy, it's one of the best I've seen yet. 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: