Thursday, May 14, 2009

trippin'

2008 beginning to fill in nicely when it comes to going places. This year, I add to my Canadian repertoire by going to NFLD for 10 days. I am honestly so excited to be going for one thing and one thing only: L'Anse aux Meadows with its UNESCO heritage sites. Adding sweet sweet icing to this trip is having a night to pop into my favourite B&B - I'm looking at you Acadian Librarian! Nish will be my trusty travelling companion, as usual. I honestly think we may have a close-to-perfect symbiotic travelling relationship where, when we divvy up the things that need to be done, we each think the other had gotten the raw end of the deal. So, yeah, she has it all figured out and I have my list of phone calls/emails to make.

But that's not all. This summer we will also we doing our annual Stratford trip (with a couple of SociaLits) AND a quick VIA-sponsored weekend in Montreal.

Finally, in October, we go to NYC for six days. NYC the way I've always really wanted to do it: Broadway, the Met (twice), Carnegie Hall, Museum of Natural History, Guggenheim, Russian Tea Room, NYPL, … and more stuff I can't even remember right now. AnCe and Kaylee join Nish and myself for this one as well :) I'm sure there'll be lots to type about when I'm there. Hopefully someone is bring a laptop (and hopefully, it's not me - Timmy is not a light little guy).

… All this is to shore myself up for 14 months of going nowhere while I save vacation time and money to go on one of my once-in-lifetime trips next year: Australia/New Zealand. I hope to be gone for two months, stopping over in at least one of the following: Fiji, Hawaii, Los Angeles. I'm planning on 7-10 days in NZ and then visiting all my family in Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. Sydney, especially, where my cousins live and where my aunt who used to visit once a year now resides (I haven't seen her in over 3 years and I miss her greatly). I'll be there close-ish to Christmas, hopefully having finished with NZ, so I'll have all of January and a week or so in Feb to see all the non-family destinations. The list is ambitious (Great Barrier Reef, Ayer's Rock, Uluru National Park, Darwin, Gold Coast…). I'm so excited about this trip, I need to stop typing about it. …right. now!

I may be dollar-poor, but I sure am travel-rich.

2 comments:

Acadian Librarian said...

And we at Chez B&B are looking forward to your imminent arrival! I have dreams of all the loveliness I can expose you too however with less than 24 hrs, it will have be a few well chosen tidbits of Hali...

Malecasta said...

I'm excited and at your tour guide mercy :)