Sunday, July 12, 2009

Now Playing: Public Enemies

Jack Sparrow vs. Batman!
...wait a minute, that's not right. This is the John Dillinger biopic, Public Enemies. Honestly, though, they had me at Johnny Depp.

I watched this a while ago (Wednesday? Thursday?) and I should have just written the review then and there. I remember liking it quite a bit - especially Marion Cotillard's Billie and Billy Crudup's Hoover. The directing was tight and the acting was really solid.

I am disappointed to read about the inaccuracies that pervade the film, all in an effort to elicit more sympathy for the outlaw. i am always uncomfortable with films that claim to be "historic" or "biographical" and are blockbusters at the same time. I often feel that directors and screenwriters will be forced to change the details a little in order to get the action sequences right or give the characters some motivation or even to simply appeal to a general audience where only a specific one would normally be attracted.

I did enjoy the movie and was more than prepared to give it 4 out of 5 stars; however, given the fact that facts have been changed and yet the "biopic" billing remains the same: 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: