Thursday, November 11, 2010

On Stage: Wicked

As with the book, I expected a lot from this production.  I mean, it's just crying out for green glitz and glamour!  While the actors did a phenomenal job of singing - especially Glinda! - I found the staging rather boring (so many empty stage numbers) and the song lyrics a bit, well, underwhelming.  Andrew Lloyd Webber, this is not.  There are some songs I could sing again - okay, really only "Popular" - and I do think I may be reviving my very first Halloween costume.  Would I recommend this?  Not really - not when you can see Lion King or Chicago or something instead.

Regardless, it was a nice way to spend a Wednesday night with the ladies.  And I got a really neat sweatshirt out of it!

3 comments:

Lesbian Librarian said...

Really? When I watched it I had front row seats and while some scenes were more "empty" the costuming was absolutely amazing!

I loved Defying Gravity. To this day it picks me up and moves me. I feel like I can fly when I run. Maybe it's because I identified so much with Elpheba...

But Lion King and Chicago are both spectacular and I loved them so much more than Mama Mia - which everyone raves about!

Malecasta said...

I haven't seen Mamma Mia - I did see We Will Rock You, which I loved.

I dunno - perhaps we were too far away to enjoy the nuances (I thought Glinda was fab but they made Elphie too drab).

There were even points where I thought I had more "fun' at Stratford! This past summer, I saw Mr. Plummer in Tempest and actually laughed way more (and was amazed by the "magic" way more) than I was for the entirety of Wicked. Perhaps this was just not my cup of tea.

Unknown said...

In respect to staging, Mamma Mia! was a whole lot better, more props and stuff ... in music too. But I enjoyed Wicked. Partly b/c The Wizard of Oz is one of my favourite movies and b/c this was only the 3rd play/musical I've seen so I don't have much to compare. I wish I had had the opportunity to see Phantom and Les Miserables - maybe they'll return.