Tuesday, November 30, 2010

fruit cake recipe

Last week, I was in Virginia visiting family, most especially my Nana.  We have a special arrangement for our matriarch: she spends many months at a time at one of her kids' residences scattered across the globe (Canada, US, UK, Australia and her own home in Bangladesh).  She was supposed to have come to stay with us in September until January, but within five days of landing in VA, she suffered what doctors could only describe as a mild stress attack and was told she was not to travel for at least six months, meaning no excursions north.  Much disappointment ensued.  So, we packed up our car instead and headed down to be with her, even if for a few short days.

Nana is 77 years old.  She doesn't look or act it, but her body must sometimes feel it.  All this jet-setting around the world can't be good for her.  We would gladly have her come live with us, but alas, the Canadian government has a different concept of "family" that doesn't include adoptive grandmothers whom we love and miss dearly. In fact, we pretty much fight for custody.

Since I last saw Nana, things have changed.  I've completely taken over the Holiday baking from Mom and so I knew I'd have to cajole the Christmas Fruit Cake recipe from her.  It's no secret that Nana is the best cook in our family (and possibly the world) but the woman cooks from her head not from a recipe.  Challenge issued.  I asked if I could watch her bake one and then she could watch me bake one.  It was interesting to try and take notes about "pinches" "dashes" and "andaaz" (roughly translated as "know-how")... and I did it.  In all the revelry, however, I did not get to bake one for her approval. 

As I walked out the door to leave for home, Nana hugged me close and whispered to send her a piece.  I told her it wouldn't taste nearly as good as hers and she said that wasn't the point, that she didn't want the cake, she wanted something made by my hands.  At that moment, I was more than prepared to stow her away in our car and bring her away with us, for good.

Today, I began soaking the fruits and nuts in dark rum.

No comments: