Friday, December 03, 2010

Now Playing: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part one

I know, I know... FINALLY.  Poppets, you cannot know how hard it was for me not to have watched the penultimate instalment of the Harry Potter series within 24 hours of its release.  A trip to Virginia and limited IMAX screenings really did their best to get in the way but I conquered all these obstacles Wednesday night!

What can I say?  After the almost-disastrous Half-Blood Prince, Deathly Hallows was simply divine.  And while I won't go back on my long-ago promise to avoid book comparisons, I will say that the script writers went to great lengths (emphasis on length) to stay true to the feel, pace and gravitas of the seventh book.  Yes, there's  a lot of aimless wandering and yes there's some annoyingly rash decision-making but hello?  we're dealing with seventeen-year-olds, people, and that what makes it so believable. 

So we get a lot of Harry, Hermione and Ron - as we should.  The rest of the cast, though, are severely under-represented.  I couldn't believe that Rickman's Snape really only got one scene - even dead Professor Dumbledore seemed to get more minutes than he did.  No McGonagall, barely any Weasleys, three seconds of Lupin... I suppose it IS what the book was like, but still.

Clocking in at two and a half hours, I thought I'd be antsy about halfway through; I was grossly mistaken.  In fact, I was actually surprised when the credits came up!  I turn to Jadek and was all "that's it?" - so the pacing was incredible. 

I feel weird rating half a movie, because we can't really talk about plot, etc.  However, I'm a happy camper.  4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: