Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Now Playing: The Fighter

Even though I've sworn off making an effort to watch the Golden Globes, I still checked out the 2010 nominations list in the effort to get a head start on the Oscars.  I was happy to see that I've already reviewed five of them and The Fighter made it number six.  Nominated in five major categories, I was ready for a tour de force.  I was disappointed.  Unlike The Wrestler (to which, of course, people are comparing ...unjustly so), this is based on a true story.  In case you doubted, we even see the real people at the end (don't you love when they do that?).

The acting was great - I mean REALLY great.  While Mark Wahlberg put some real effort into it, yes, he is distinctly overshadowed by Christian Bale (who is genius, really), Amy Adams (the princess goes badass) and Melissa Leo (damn, this lady can act).  Even the side characters were amazing - I believed every minute of it.  Th directing was tight, well-paced.  What can I say about the story - it's true!  I did like what they did with the documentary "twist" - when you see it, you'll know what I mean - and how it took us as viewers along for the ride.

Best movie of 2010?  Definitely a strong contender.  Perhaps I can make a more educated decision when I've watched the rest.  4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: