Monday, January 18, 2010

not-so-golden globes

After seeing all 10 of the movies nominated for best movie (in either the comedy/musical or drama category), I made two statements:
1) the Hangover doesn't belong in such a list; and,
2) if Avatar wins, I'm never watching the Globes again.

Well, I'm never watching the Globes again.

I really did not think the Hangover deserved to beat Nine; and even if we're talking pure comedic gold, I thought It's Complicated was a much smarter film. It certainly does seem like the Globes are pandering to the masses (and the box office revenue-generators) as opposed to actual cinephiles. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing yet - I mean, I guess awards should reward the films that made the most people happy? I don't know - I'm pretty disappointed. And I 'm fairly certain that those who saw Avatar (maybe even more than once) haven't seen the other four nominations in the catageory. Ditto for Hangover. The only categories I was pretty happy with were Best Actress (comedy), Best Supporting Actress (drama) and Best Supporting Actor (drama). le sigh. I don 't even know why I watch these things. I'm never happy about them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

They were pretty disappointing. I did NOT expect The Hangover to win, wtf is up with that? LOL I thought for sure Nine had it in the bag b/c that's usually the kind of movie that wins.

And I didn't know Sherlock Holmes was a comedy? I'm glad he won b/c I think he's great, but it's a comedy??

Malecasta said...

Yeah, I was a little weirded out by the "comedy" assignation of Sherlock... but I guess I did laugh a lot? I find these categories to be fairly frou-frou anyhow.

I cannot begin to express my disappointment re: Hangover AND Avatar. Like one wasn't bad enough. I really really REALLY hope the Oscars will redeem awards season for me.