Sunday, January 03, 2010

B.I.R.T.

Wow, what a fabulous NYE/NYD. Got all gussied up and headed downtown for a neu+ral night with my favourite dj (boy, he didn't disappoint), my favourite-er friends and my favourite-est LilBro. It was a great venue, great set and had some celebrity dancers in the audience. Free champagne at midnight, followed by drunken phone calls to everyone who missed out. We partied hard until almost 0300 and then stumbled home, stopping to "revel" with fellow happy people. Two glasses of water, one slice of pizza and one blow-up mattress later, I was fast asleep. First meal of 2010? $7 Breakfast Eggs from Brownstone. First song of 2010? Tool's Schism. First shower of 2010? 45-minutes long, complete with face mask and foot soak. All good starts.

********

New year's resolutions are hard. I had good ones, last year, but am drawing blanks on this year. Clearly, I shall be building on the forward momentum of last year's successes; what else? I'm in a good place right now: I have a satisfying job, a nice place, great friends and attainable dreams. I don’t really know if I have any goals, outside of getting my butt to Australia/NZ/Tasmania. I often feel like I was more motivated when I had nothing. When I was a student, it was a real game to find creative ways at saving money; now, it's just a matter of an automatic transfer every two weeks. I guess, I'm feeling a little disengaged from my own life. Like everything's on auto-pilot or something. I feel like a housewife after the invention of kitchen appliances… what's there left to do now but drink? So maybe this year, instead of things to accomplish, I'll start developing my personal habits.

1) Drink more. A glass of red a day or something. Edit: Drink more, but never alone.

2) Read 50 pages a day. You know, I like reading. Really, I do. I just seem to have lost some practice. So, 50 pages a day. Hook or by crook.

3) Cook more. I am good at this, when I do it but have been woefully negligent when it comes to honing my skills.

4a) Rent more movies. As in, stop watching crap in theatres. If only there were a rental place within walking distance of me, I'd be gold.
4b) Watch more TV on DVD. I have Extras and Slings and Arrows all queued up. I really need to get through Sex and the City and The Tudors. Of course, The Sopranos is also on the list, but I need to find someone who owns them first

5) Get crafty. Surely there's something out there that I can do. I've tried knitting, sewing, drawing and beading to no avail. I really wish I had been better at knitting… I have some really great ideas for stuff but can't get my hands to execute them. Dammit. Anyway, I'm going to find something crafty and functional… basket weaving, perhaps?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I never really had you down as a Sex and the City kind of girl. Huh!

Malecasta said...

I have no idea if I'm S&TC kinda girl... but I feel like I should watch, even if it's just for the cultural cache it represents.

Anonymous said...

Every girl is a S&TC girl. Be you Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte or Samanatha - no one work has so quantified the struggle of the modern woman to love, be loved and to matter.

I am Charlotte.

DK
P.S. I have the whole series and would be happy to lend it.