Monday, January 05, 2009

I hereby resolve…

All right, it's that time of year. You know, when we make resolutions to be better people and then forget about them by Valentine's Day. I shall be a lemming and dutifully make my false promises. They are as follows:

1) Be (more) Green and Glamourous. We've talked about this, poppets, so I shant belabour the point. In short: Recycle; in heels.

2) Be less needy and needed. This year, I am going to try and enjoy my own company more. I have a terrible habit of relying on people's effervescent company to get me through the chores of life (groceries, cooking, shopping). This year, I am going to try and be more efficient with my time so I do these things less often and I will try to do them… wait for it …by myself. I know, I know. It's a lot for which to ask, but I'm going to give it the old college try.

3) Spend less money. I am already on an allowance system ($40 a week) but I have stop justifying out-of-allowance expenditures (e.g. Chapter's is having a sale - these books don’t count in my allowance!). Here's a few things I've done thus far:
- I have taken up a couple of cheap(er) hobbies - baking and decorating. I've also ordered a couple of books (they were 90% off! surely I HAD to get them) on sewing and crafting, so hopefully that will also lessen the amount of time I'm bored (and thereby spend money).
- Cancelled my uber-expensive cable and started "renting" movies from the library.
- Renewed my WoW account: for $90, it sure does provide a lot of hours of amusement.
- Double-duty clothes: my Christmas outfit this year was a tweed suit with two tops (in cyan and black)… all of which translates to three different outfits for work!
- Finally: coupons. It's something I hardly ever paid attention to but now am finding that saving $5 on a meal or 10% off a commodity starts adding up.

4) Make more lists. We all have to embrace our flaws. I am anal-retentive. I make lists. I stopped making them in order to be less controlling and rigid; that just led me to being absent-minded and inefficient. More lists!

5) Write more. Since I can't afford (either in time or money) to go back to school and take a creative writing class like I'd wanted, I'm just going to have to give myself tasks. Oh, how I wish someone would just assign me some exercises! I miss school.

…I think that's enough for this year. I'm not going to make any "lose weight" types of resolutions for one reason only - I don't like to fail. In being greener and more glamourous, in making healthier meals at home and occupying my time, I hope such things will be a positive side effect.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not sure if in the condo you still have to pay for utilities or if it's included in your maintenance fee, but you can save money by doing laundry after 8pm when the rates are cheaper.

Also, get points cards wherever you can - Shoppers, Esso, Air Miles, Scene Card, HBC, etc., they do come through.

I have a few cookbooks and cooking magazines that you can borrow for recipes if you'd like AND there's nothing better than the Internet for free recipes - make your own cookbook. Kraft.ca is my favourite site ... the recipes are easy and quick!

Malecasta said...

internet recipes - they're a dream. I found a fantastic gingerbread recipe this past Christmas that even allowed me to skip the molasses part...
I have a few of those loyalty cards, though I was REALLY sad when they cancelled the Shoppers Visa. I now have a the PC card for free groceries.
...but good tip on the water thing! that should go for taking showers and doing dishes too :)