Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Dear Mr. Munsch,

The very first book I ever read in Canada was a little something called The Paper Bag Princess. Being an avid reader of Grimm and Andersen, I was beyond delighted- enthralled really - by this plucky princess. I went on to devour everything you'd ever written and your books became gifts for my cousins, my nieces, my god-daughter. I laughed during Mud Puddle, commiserated with Mortimer, and cried bittersweet tears during Love You Forever. When I went away to university I only took three books with me: Oh, The Places You'll Go, Winnie-the-Pooh, and Angela's Airplane. When I went into children's services, the very first book I ever did in storytime? You guessed it: Paper Bag Princess. After it was over, a new-to-Canada mother asked me for the author so she could get a copy for her daughter at home. How circular is life. I have since performed that story on stage, with puppets, with a big book, as a felt story... even on the phone. You have given me so much joy, Mr. Munsch. I can only hope to pay it forward.

I am very sorry to hear of your stroke. I cannot tell you how much it hurt for me to read that you couldn't write any more - actually that you couldn't even construct sentences. I cannot even imagine what that must feel like. I can only hope that you will recover and can continue to do what I can only think you were put on this earth to do - make children (and the rest of us) happy. Thank you for making storytime such an easy endeavour, for helping us attempt a Guinness World Record... most of all, thank you for giving a lonely immigrant girl with a funny accent her first Canadian friend.

Sincerely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sniff* I didn't know that Robert had a stroke! I too love Paperbag Princess and so many of his others... I have already decided that for Halloween next year I will be that character (get a leaf compost bag, some twine, dirty your face with makeup and mess up the hair). I heart Robert...

Malecasta said...

It was terrible timing too, given his involvement with the Guinness World Record people that weekend.