Sunday, February 01, 2009

Now Playing: The Reader

Almost done the award-calibre movies (Underworld, here I come!), but before a little drama of my own. Set out to watch Milk last night at one of my local movie houses; yet, despite checking the website diligently, when we get there, we find out the show has been cancelled due to a leaky roof. Apparently, updating the website is something only the head office in Nova Scotia can do - marvel, ye morals at the convenience of the internet! - so we were screwed. Two comp passes later, we went on to our second choice: The Reader.

This is the movie that garnered Kate Winslet one of two Golden Globes, this one for Best Supporting Actress as Hannah Schmitz. I don't understand how she's a "supporting" actress when she's in most of the movie, playing the pivotal female role opposite David Kross and Ralph Fiennes, who share the role of Michael Berg. Regardless of all that, all three actors shine - I was especially impressed by young Mr. Kross, who really held his own against the Winslet powerhouse. And a powerhouse she was - from loneliness to pride to fear to desolation, Winslet played the extremes like a finely tuned violin. I can see how she deserved that statuette ... and perhaps why the "judges" felt the need to award her twice. 4 out of 5 stars.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just saw this and it was really good. I did not know the story, so was very glad that the plot unfolded at a nice pace and did not lag at all. It was a nice change from some of the other crap out there.

DK

Malecasta said...

there is just so much crap, isn't there? speaking of which - I'm excited to see Underworld... once I can get through an hour of being awake without breaking a fever-sweat.

Anonymous said...

Apparently, we do not define "crap" the same way.

DK

Malecasta said...

you think Underworld isn't crap? well! I thought I was in a very exclusive club when it came to that :)