Sunday, February 08, 2009

vitamin D

It's silly, really. Despite having spent the better part of the last ten days being ill with the flu (a flu I had thought to try to and inoculate myself against, but with no success) and still having the sniffles and dry throat/lips to go with it, today, I felt... happy. And for no good reason at all! I wanted to walk outside, order a frappuccino and stroll home. I wanted to hang out with people. i wanted to read a book outside. And why? well...

The last week has seen me at home and I've noticed the late afternoon sun creeping deeper and deeper inside my condo, lingering a little longer every day. And today, being at work after so long, surrounded by windows, the shift flew by. I called around, desperate to have someone share this day with me - but everyone was "busy" ... *sigh*

I know I don't suffer from depression, but I certainly think I lack sunshine in my life and that makes me grumpy and contemplative. A little vitamin D and it's like I've been given a new lease on life. Long after the sun went down, I was still standing on my balcony, basking in the twilight. I can't wait for summer (and patio furniture and pina coladas). I'm getting happy just thinking about it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't sunshine great?!? I think you just had the "winter blues" ... it's not depression, it's SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder. I'm chronic LOL I hate winter. My desk right now is beside a window and I'm blind half of the day b/c of the sunlight, but I love it, just feeling the sun. You know that commercial where the lady is sitting in her office and it's 4:15pm and it's dark outside and she's whailing? Yah, that's me all winter long!! Glad you're feeling better though :) the next couple of days we're having beautiful weather, so make sure you enjoy it!!

Malecasta said...

I WISH I had windows where I work... alas. I have to make do with the atrium skylight. I had thought I suffered from SAD - but since I didn't go around cutting myself or writing melancholy poetry, I simply chalked it up to drama queen syndrome. glad to know I'm not the only freak who giggles at the sight of a little sunshine :)