Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Now Playing: Up In The Air

The light, I can see it beckoning. Movie 9 of 10: Up In the Air. Okay, so I love Jason Reitman. I thought both Juno and Thank You For Smoking were just great film-making. I've also read a couple of interviews and he seems like a pretty cool guy. So, regardless of what list he makes it on, I knew I was going to watch his latest offering. ...and then I saw his main male lead. George Clooney? Really? Making a little indie-esque Reitman flick? I was disappointed, to say the least. I mean, let's get it all out there: I don't like George Clooney and I've made no secret of it. I wasn't hoping for much: just don't distract me while I try to enjoy myself here, George, and we're kosher.

You know what? He was alright. Yes, I too feel like it got a little chilly in Hell, but that's not the point. Clooney was able to check his ego at the door and, somehow, Reitman was able to bring out some warmth and charm that wasn't, somehow, covered in smarm. That scene at Alex's door? I had no idea he was capable of getting his heart broken or even acting like it could, yet... there it was. No wonder he's caught some attention.

Honestly, the movie was great. It had enough trademark clever scripting and cutting wit to keep me entertained; it had some fantastic cameo-acting; it even tugged at heartstrings in that unusual way that Reitman does. Why doesn't he make more movies? I loved it. 4 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, I ask you, who could have done justice to that role BUT Clooney? I would say that Clooney is one of the few actors out there who has what was once called "class". Sure, he beds the ladies like they were a blue-light special, but he makes no commitment. He doesn't play the role of husband while still proceeding to be a cad. He's a cad, he offers you nothing and he doesn't have to apologize for it.

DK

Malecasta said...

you're right - he has this real sense old-fashioned movie star (Clark Gable comes to mind). I just usually find that his Cadishness tends to bleed through his roles sometimes - not so this time.