Sunday, January 17, 2010

DVD: The Hurt Locker

You know, I've made a pretty hard and fast rule about not blogging individual movies I watch on DVD/BD. I mean, I would spend my life on here if I did. However, what's a rule without exceptions? This one is a good one: The Hurt Locker rounds out my Golden Globe noms list and I thought, for completion's sake, I should do a quick review.

I liked it. Normally, I find war movies essentially disturbing (perhaps I was a flower child in a previous life?) and this was no exception. Acting and directing were particularly solid (what's with Guy Pearce doing all these fantastic tiny roles?) Camera-work was really tight. All in all, a great movie and worthy inclusion in the GG nom list. I did find it overly cynical: I mean, what's the one thing a soldier could love in a world full of suicide bombers and cell-phone terrorists while holding his infant son? Anywho, a quick 3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: