Friday, December 31, 2010

Dear 2010,

You've been a good year - a very good year indeed.  I've seen lots of places, done lots of interesting things, indulged in my passions, and been treated like a princess. I'm a firm believer of the five spheres - family, friends, wealth, health and love.  Most everyone and everything in our lives fit on one of these spheres.  I think 2010 was the first year that I felt like my spheres actually clicked together, as opposed to smashing into each other.. 


Family: in a continuing upward trend, my family and I are beginning to enjoy each other's company.  I think my twice-a-week visit helped quite a bit with that.  We've actually chosen to hang out together, play games and just chat.  I know people tell you this will happen, but I didn't really believe them.

Friends: I've been able to actually get this under control - weed out the chaff, as it were. Monthly Book Club meetings are one of my highlights in life and I simply love those ladies.  Finding a new travel buddy that actually jives with Nish and my craziness has been a serious bonus - Ance, you're a gem.  Board games are back on, although with less frequency, and I'm finding that they keep my competitive edge sharp.  Work friends have become real friends (I can't tell you how lovely it is to walk into your office and have roses - or a scarf! - greet you). 


Wealth: it's the first year I didn't feel poor (although, my bank account still does) and I've been afforded the gift of time to enjoy books, movies and mini-crafts.  My job has been extremely satisfying and I feel like I've really made a difference.  My recent promotion, I think, testifies to that.  Speaking of which, in a month or so, I get to go back to a bipedal commute that's under fifteen minutes.  A new challenge and I'm a little excited (though still sad to be leaving where I am now).

Health: any year where I don't contract a fatal disease is a good one. *knock wood* Having gotten over my initial illness early this year, we've had a pretty good run.

Love: ahh, love.  Elusive little minx.  I'm lucky to say I've found someone who will put up with my special brand of crazy and who doesn't seem to mind that I travel without him, have a life outside of him and who loves me despite (because of?) my tendency to be incredibly demanding.  Who knew this was possible?

So!  As I think back to my 2010 resolutions this year, I realise I did almost none of the things I set out to - I think I drank less, read less and crafted almost nothing.  I did get Netflix and began bringing home library DVDs every week, so I guess there's that... but I still watched a LOT of movies this year.  Meh - I don't even feel guilty.  I clearly did something right this year, so why mess with a winning formula...if only I knew what that formula is...

Thanks, 2010, for being kinda awesome.  You've set a bar.

Sincerely,
-Me

[Happy New Years, everyone!  Best of luck for 2011 and, as Elle says, I hope you all make more money than a comatose pigeon!]

No comments: