Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Now Playing: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Thanks to a rescue staged by LilBro and his trusty steed (Buick), I was able to see Sherlock Holmes: a Game of Shadows last night, starring Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law and Noomi Rapace, whose turn in the Swedish Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was indelible. 

My first thought after seeing this movie was: what would Sir Arthur Conan Doyle have thought?  Were he alive, I'm sure it would be: "Money money money, mon-ey... MON-AY!"  Having never made it through Doyle's work, I can't say whether it's true to text  (though some may have better insight than me); what I can say is that this Holmes/Watson pairing is fun and believable in their own way. 

In comparison to the staccato-quick original, Game of Shadows felt a bit sluggish: even though it wasn't much longer in run-time than most movies, I was restless two-thirds of the way through.  And, spoiler alert, I missed Rachel McAdams.  I thought Irene Adler was a perfect foil for Holmes; Madam Simza wasn't utilised as much more than a plot device, which was s wasteful shame.  And Moriarty?  well, for one of the best literary villains of all time, he was ... boring.  Mark Strong's turn as Lord Blackwood was much better.  If this is a setup for a threequel, they could have made more of an effort.  3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: