Monday, February 27, 2012

84th annual Oscars

Having just squeaked in the ninth film on the Best Picture list, I will say poppets, I dropped the ball.  I normally would have shared my predictions with you prior to the red carpet, but alas; Sunday snuck up on and and I just had so much to do.  I had printed out a ballot for all of us to fill in, and we even put our five bucks into the kitty.  I did not fare well, overall, only getting twelve categories right.  I did not anticipate the love-fest for Hugo in the technical department, who walked away with five statues, tying with The Artist, which I thought was a much more... creative film.  I did bat 1.000 on the Big Six, correctly predicting Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress.  I was also very happy to see that Tree of Life was shunned.


Stuff that surprised me:
  1. This was Christopher Plummer's first ever Oscar win?!  I was floored.
  2. Meryl Streep has been nominated seventeen times!  and has had the same makeup artists since Sophie's ChoiceThat guy is a genius.
  3. Does Tom Cruise age?  I mean seriously, is that the bonus for being the ninth epselon or whatever in the Church of Scientology?  Because that guy looks almost exactly the same as he did twenty years ago.
  4. Billy Crystal is just not that funny.  I'm rooting for Seth Rogen or Jason Segel!
My movie rental list for the  next few months are pretty hefty - a nice side effect of award season.  What did yup think of the Oscars this year?

No comments: