Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Now Playing: Underworld: Awakening

I cheated. I’m supposed to be catching up on my Oscar contenders after weeks of neglect and what do I find myself watching on Tuesday? Underworld: Awakening. Good thing no one pays me to do this here “weblog”. (You know what’s funny? Spell-check underlined “weblog” but ignores “blog”.  Hmm.)


So, last time on Underworld, we got to see the perfectly yummy Lucian and his back story. That one movie elevated the entire series. Perhaps it was the acclaimed Michael Sheen; perhaps it was the lack of Kate Beckinsale. Whatever it was, it worked.
This time, we’re back to Selene and her story, twelve years after the second movie ended (are you keeping up?). I use the word “story” loosely, as this movie is really just one action scene after another. Don’t get me wrong, the action is pretty good and the new CGI effects are even better… but really? One of the things I like about the Underworld franchise is the decent plot winding through the movies. Even when the acting was weak, the story stayed strong. I feel like they’ve completely forgotten that this time around. Sure, there’s some forward momentum, but there’s hardly any actual acting. And the questions! Don’t even get me started. One of the only good thinge to come out of this movie was the homegrown hunkinees of Kris Holden-Ried.

So, again, if you’re an average moviegoer: 3 out 5 stars. In relation to Underworld itself? 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments: