Monday, October 22, 2012

Now Playing: End of Watch

Despite me catching a cold (from staying indoors, mind you), Jadek took me to the movies on Saturday.  It was a treat to be picked up, fed buttery popcorn, and dropped home. 

Decided on watching End of Watch, a copper flick I had never heard of but which starred Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña.   I generally like these guys,  Turns out, the cast was much deeper than that.  Later found out it was written by the same guy who wrote Training Day, which makes sense. 

The movie is good: suspenseful, realistic, well-paced.  The interspersing of work and life was a nice touch, allowing us (as viewers) to get cozy with Brian and Mike quickly.  I enjoyed that these characters were believable: they weren't white knights or wolves-in-sheep's-clothing; they were cops trying to be be good at their job without completely burning out.  If i had to complain about anything, I'd say it was the fact that these guys didn't pick up a single "normal" call - all their cases were big deals.  I guess that's easier to believe in South-Central Los Angeles, but still.  Surely sometimes there's just an old lady who's dead?

Other than that minor thing, it was very good.  With slim pickings at the theatre before we rev up to full speed starting next week, this was a nice distraction.  4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: