Monday, December 10, 2012

Now Playing: Lincoln

The attempt to use too many tickets in too little time is slow-going, poppets.  Slow.  Going.

This past weekend, caught Lincoln (finally!) with Daniel Day-Lewis and a few other people you may recognise.  So, let's get my biases out of the way: I've had a crush on DDL since The Last of the Mohicans.  And remember the last time we saw him?  Yeah.  Yeah.  So, obviously I had high expectations for Lincoln.  Was not disappointed.

First: holy heck, is DDL a chameleon on something?  I mean, he's pretty unrecognisable every time I see him on the screen.  And every time - good, bad, crazy - he's amazing.  When I saw the teaser a few months ago, I didn't even realise I was looking at DDL.  It's like they cloned the original.  (That makeup team had better win an Oscar...)

Second: for a story to which I knew the ending, this was downright gripping!  I can partially blame my spotty American History recall (no idea as to the details involving Emancipation, the Civil War, or Union/Confederate politics) and my general memory deficits, because I truly didn't know how and when things were going to happen.  That was some excellent screenwriting.

Third: I love DDL.  That man could sell me sand in the desert.  So, clearly he has my vote for Best Actor.  But let us not forget the tour de force performances of Tommy Lee Jones and David Costabile.  A very deep cast indeed.

So, yes, go watch it.  Like, right now.  Do it.  4.5 out of 5 stars.  (docking .5 for the sometime-slow pace.  that's a Spielberg thing though.)

No comments: