Friday, January 04, 2013

Now Playing: Les Misérables

T.O. 2012. NYE. 1745.
After (excellent) AYCE Sushi.
Before the big 5-4-3-2-1.

Settled down to watch one of my most anticipated movies of the year (fitting that it was done last): Les Misérables, starring Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Russell Crowe and Amanda Seyfried (and Eddie Redmayne and Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter and and and…)

I did not worry about the singing chops on this cast, especially since I had seen Mr. Jackman in concert last year. I did not worry about the acting chops either (so many Oscar contenders, present and past). I certainly did not worry about plot or casting. I did worry about directing (this was the guy who did The King’s Speech (after all). I needn’t have. All of it was so brilliantly put together.

I think my favourite part was near the end, with Jean and Fantine. It was poignant and beautiful. In fact, Ms. Hathaway was really quite excellent. Her version of “I dreamed a dream” is the way I think it should have always been sung – without bravado and full of the deepest heartache possible, not controlled at all. Whisper-soft and still so powerful. I have heard many versions of this song over the years – I think this is the one I like the best.

Of course, you should go see it. It’s sure to be an Academy favourite and it seems a puzzle-perfect fit for a bitingly cold January. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: