Monday, February 25, 2013

85th annual academy awards

Only 10 right this year, despite all the effort to watch as many movies as possible.  But I'm happy to have been wrong on some of these categories.
(Let me set this straight - this isn't a ballot of who I want to win; it's a ballot to win the $20 pool, so it's picks of who I think the Academy will choose.  This year, they surprised me more than once.)

- Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained?  I did not think they'd let him win two nominations in a row for playing a German dude in a Quentin Tarantino film, no matter how good he was.

- Ang Lee for Directing Life of Pi, over Spielberg?  That was amazing!  I know I've already expounded over how much I loved Life of Pi.  I thought it was pretty much impossible to adapt that book into a movie, and yet... Personally, I thought they should have really won for Best Adapted Screenplay as well.

- Original Score for Life of Pi: wow.  I totally did not expect that.  I mean, I knew Adele was going to win for Skyfall (a more appropriate Bond song could not have been asked for); but Pi's Lullaby was so poignant, it made my heart ache.  The true power of music: to translate emotion without language. I was really happy to see Mychael Danna pick up the Oscar for Original Score.

I am disappointed to see:
- Beasts of the Southern Wild get so little love.  I thought it was drop-dead fabulous.  Quvenzhané Wallis was simply outstanding, making it pretty incredible that her little shoulders carried such a load.  (Makes me wonder if she's even acting or just reacting?  then it makes me wonder if it even matters?)
- that they chose to revisit old musicals and not actually allow the five nominees for Best Song perform on the big night.
- so many safe, boring speeches (thanking your lawyer?  really?).  At least DDL had fun with his.  The silver lining really was the Jaws theme ushering people off-stage. 

...and thus brings us to the end of the 2012 award season.  I like Seth McFarlane - he was quick-witted and just the right amount of irreverent.  He's allowed to come back.

No comments: