Sunday, July 14, 2013

Now Playing: The Lone Ranger

This year’s birthday movie: The Lone Ranger, starring Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer (who’s he, you ask?  Yeah, you and me both). Also: William Fichtner and Tom Wilkinson – both of whom I adore.

I never watched this show as a kid (way too young for that, poppets), so I have no strong feelings either way.  Really, the only things I recognised were the theme song and “Hi, ho, Silver!”  I was a bit surprised they let Mr. Depp play Tonto – weren’t people going to be offended?  Then again, he was always under layers and layers (and LAYERS) of makeup.  The rest of the Native Americans were plays by actual Native Americans, so there’s that too.

The movie was a bit slow to get started – I guess it’s an origin story?  But I don’t see a lot of franchise potential here.  Surprisingly, much of it centred around Tonto, with him providing the frame and narrating the main arc; the Ranger(s)?  almost an afterthought.  There were funny moments, witty repartee, slapstick, and sight gags…but honestly? the story was incredibly sad, I thought.  The betrayals, the unnecessary warfare, the goddamned Gatling gun (that thing has made me weepy thrice now in theatres).  And I’m not altogether sure I’d take anyone under the age of twelve.  It’s being billed a family Disney flick, but it’s way too serious for that.

A watchable 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: