Friday, December 20, 2013

Now Playing: The Hobbit (the desolation of Smaug)

I finally went to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.  Last weekend, I was foiled by epic snow; Tuesday, I was foiled by greed.  So yesterday, I snuggled into my IMAX seat with my popcorn and 3D glasses, ready to be entertained.  I was very open-minded, especially considering my keen disappointment with AnUnexpected Journey

You know what?  I was entertained.  The pacing was much better this time; I believe this is because there were no silly songs.  Everyone acted their hearts out with some exceptional performances:
-          Evangeline Lilly was born to play an elf.  I mean, just look at her nose! Seriously. 
-          Orlando Bloom could have done with more dialogue and less brow-knotting stares.
-          Benedict Cumberpatch.  That is all.

The one thing the movie really suffers from is its lack of conclusion.  I mean, nothing is wrapped up at all.  Nothing.  And while I understand they wanted to milk the Hobbit for all it was worth, I think they could have concluded at least one storyline. 


So, of course, you should see it.  It’s part of a pretty epic trilogy and the production values are stellar.  I just don’t think it lived up to its potential.  3.5 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

Dan O. said...

Though I feel like it's only a tad bit better than the first, there's still plenty here that I can be excited for. Good review.