Friday, February 14, 2014

Now Playing: Captain Phillips

The second of our double-feature: Captain Phillips.  I wasn't looking forward to watching this movie as I'm pretty much an anti-fan of Tom Hanks.  It also seemed to be another "isn't America great" movie and I'm really tired of those. 

I'll admit, I was pleasantly surprised.  CP was paced like an action movie, complete with nail-biting suspence.  It's too bad that we knew the Cap was going to make it, because that would have made it a little more compelling... alas, the constraints of non-fiction.  There was some attempt to illustrate the desperation which would drive young men into piracy, which I appreciated.  The real revelation, though, is the acting debut of Barkhad Abdi, who was pretty fantastic.  He was clearly the bad guy, but I was kinda cheering for him.  I mean, he led three guys with a motorboat and a soldered-together ladder and they were able to neutralise a twenty-man crew on a huge cargo ship.  And then, they took on not one, not two, but three US Navy ships.  I couldn't help but root for them a little, and hope they would make it out.  So well done.

But, it's still a rah-rah-Go-America movie with Tom Hanks playing every other role you've ever seen him in.  So, I can only really give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.  Still a good movie.  Just not Oscar-calibre.

No comments: