Monday, April 06, 2009

cartoon wasteland

I had a minor epiphany this morning: 90's after-school cartoons pretty much shaped my entire life. So many things around me are direct links to my animated past

Gargoyles easily influenced all my architectural preferences in life - I even have them perched atop bookshelves in my home. I have cast-iron fixtures and accents everwhere and there's a certain affinity for candles that I can't quite explain. Yep, I'm a cartoon goth.

Batman has set up all the unrealistic expectations a girl needs for the perfect man (independent, wealthy, strong sense of justice and kickass... and perpetually unable to commit to a woman. sounds just about right.) ...but it's not just that! Also: a wicked car and a man who knows how to drive it *swoon*

G.I Joe gave me all the accent ranges I needed to learn the North American twang AND still do a wicked Baroness. It also showed me that red is good fire and blue is bad fire .. I like blue better anyway.

Jem has sparked a lifelong obsession with earrings, fun hair colours and a bad attitude.

TMNT taught me an important lesson: just because you're the smartest in the group (Donatello and I share a purple affinity) doesn't mean you'll be the leader. It's a sad fact of life.

X-Men had the most people in it that I wanted to hang out with: Gambit, Wolverine and, yes, the Beast. I've never wished so hard to be a mutant, if only to curl up in Beast's study and read all his books. (something I just thought of... perhaps Marpesia is based entirely from her connection with Gambit? hmm... therapy bills just doubled).

And, of course, Thundercats. This show is responsible for my head getting shaved (as punishment for using a permanent black marker to draw spots all over it and my neck), for my first sprained wrist (chasing "Liono" around a four-poster bed and mis-stepping) and for my continuing need fascination with all things dark and Egyptian, no matter how historically inaccurate it may be.

No comments: