Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Now Playing: Observe and Report

Due to a particular aligning of incompetence, cereal boxes and cheap pizza, I find myself with free movie coupons during a time when there are really NO movies I actually want to see. April is a cruel month indeed for Hollywood - full of films that aren't quite blockbuster enough for the May-August marathon nor Award-worthy enough to actually have been pushed to an extremely limited release in December. No, April is the limbo month where we find indie films, comedies and woulda-beena-contendas vying for your cinematic dollar.

So, I bring you the first installment of Movies I Would Only Watch if They're Free: Observe and Report.

Seth Rogen is an enigma. I want to like this guy - he's funny, chubby and Canadian, three things that I find make me feel really good for some reason. Everything I've ever watched him in has been pretty much gold (if you like that sort of comedy). I guess my problem really is that I don’t go for that "that sort of comedy" very often… heck, I don't watch comedies in theatres as a rule. I can rent it if I have to. Anyway, enter incompetent major movie chain that’s not Cineplex or AMC and suddenly I have a coupon that needs to be used by month's end and this is all they're really playing this month.

Hence, Observe and Report. Meh. its certainly had its funny moments (mostly whenever scene-stealer Celia Weston was onscreen) but it was pretty run-of the-mill. Aside from the obvious (and unfair) Paul Blart references, it ran its comedic course, only flirting with dark comedy when referencing bipolar disorder and leading to a that typical Hollywood ending that is orely wish they had avoided. Alas, it was a mediocre movie with only moments of brilliant comedy. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: