Thursday, March 25, 2010

capital idea

Alright, day three of OMECC and I'm kinda feeling it. The difference between this and just about any other conference is that we spend entire days in one location, in one seat. So, while the info is actually kind of interesting (I like money; this stuff speaks to me), the environment leaves much to be desired. Anyway, day three ended.

Newish friend Milton and I decided to take a walk about the city and do the tourist thing. Little did I know that he was actually a pseudo-expert so i got a personalised walkabout, which included the normal stuff (Parliament, National Library, yadda yadda) and the unexpected (Cat Sanctuary? More on this later...). Dinner #2 at Milestones and I'm beat. Milton ditches the social event (and essentially me) but since I had passed on the plenary the night before, I thought I'd put in my time.

The 24th floor of the Westin Ottawa has a pretty fantastic view of Ottawa. And me without a camera. I stood at the window contemplating whether I should run down and get my camera (thereby missing the sunset) or just watch it and seal it in my brain. While I'm mulling options, I get a polite "excuse me" and this guy who had more foresight than me indicates he wants a shot. I watch him struggle to get a shot that isn't blurry or full of glare. "Night shot, no flash" I say, as I dash away, deciding to get my camera after all. I think he said 'thank you'. Down and back again (with a slight detour in a locked stairwell) and I get my shot. Yes.

Back in my suite, hot showered and bathrobed. Blog time. It's neat to have time to do this!

I promised you a Cat Sanctuary story, poppets, so here it is. It's true, just northwest of the Parliament Building, there's a little cat haven, complete with cats (spayed/neutered, of course). Well, this is a cute-ass story so far. Anyway, Milton tries to get a picture of one of its feline residents (conveniently right in front), but no matter what he tries, the cat will have none of it and refuses to make eye contact with his camera. I don't even bother, far too amused by the squirrels making use of the facility. Milton pays the two dollars that contributes to the upkeep and mutters "alright, I've paid my dues, give me a picture, kitty." The cat? A twitch of the tail and it turns around, heading into its cat-bedroom. I laugh heartily. I couldn't have scripted that.

Tomorrow, we go in search of the Obama cookie.

No comments: