Sunday, March 07, 2010

sprawl

Well, this is a new experience: sitting at a Denny's, with my netbook, doing my taxes.

While at OLA last week, I had the opportunity to hear Christopher Hume speak on the impact that libraries have on neighbourhood-building. He said something that really resonated with me: [paraphrased] "people who live in 650-square-foot condos don't really have enough living space and as a result their neighbourhoods become extensions of their homes. Restaurants are their dining tables, movieplexes are their home theatres and libraries are their living rooms." I couldn't help but think just how true was. Working as I do most Sundays at a suburban Central Library that has had eleven high-rise condominiums go up within walking distance in the last five years, I see first-hand just how much a library-space is needed. Sure, we have books and DVDs and now console games; more importantly we have 40+ computers, scads of study tables, 16 individual study rooms and an entire study floor. People wait (I wish I could say patiently) for us to raise the gates so they can stake out their territory. Within minutes of being open, all five floors are occupied. Why would anyone want to be in a place with the potential of boisterous children and no personal space so they can study? Well, clearly, their homes can provide no better.

Which brings me to Denny's. Jadek does my taxes - he has the most useful job ever - and we really don't have a place to do them. I mean, Chez Moi doesn't even have a dining table, let alone a comfortable place for two people to sit and do paperwork together. Also: cooked food. My list of must-haves for my next place grows: a guest room, at least four closets and, now, a dining space. Or maybe not. I kind of like being able to justify going out for milkshakes.

No comments: