Monday, May 16, 2011

Now Playing: Priest

Sometimes, I don't know what makes me do it.  Is it the proximity to the theatre?  The super-cheap tickets?  The lack of alternative entertainment?  I don't know.  What I do know is that I spent a Friday afternoon watching Priest, starring the under-utilised Paul Bettany and kickassery of Maggie Q.  (Did you know that Q is the new Nikita?  I was doubtful of her ability to replace Peta Wilson; I no longer doubt.)  The movie was not good.  Again, I don't know why, really.  The special effects were decent, the storyline, while thin, was okay and you really couldn't get a cooler bad guy than Karl Urban.  It just felt... rushed. Lots of things were glossed over, like is this the past or the future or an alternate reality or an alternate past what?  And what happens when you get infected - do you become a vampire or a familiar?  And why, in a world of vampires,  would a city decide on a design that didn't maximise sunlight?  The movie does not hold up to analysis.  2 out 5 stars.

No comments: