Monday, May 09, 2011

Now Playing: Thor

The latest in Marvel's Avengers line-up: Thor.   I really wasn’t expecting too much, at first. I mean, Thor isn’t exactly as famous as his compatriots. Then, the reviews began filtering in and it was very positive and I thought “well, at least it will be entertaining.” You know what? It really is. First of all, what great casting in Chris Hemsworth: he’s huge, he’s handsome, he’s charming, he’s capable of personal development… everything you want in a superhero! Also, a splendid idea to cast slightly shorter actors around him, which only accentuates his large-but-proportionalness. And since we’re talking about casting: hello Tom Hiddleston! That guy was awesome! I also really enjoyed the multicultural casting which allowed for an excellent Idris Elba to helm Heimdall – I now can’t picture anyone else doing it.

So, plot. I don’t know a thing about Superhero Thor, but I do know lots about Norse Legend Thor. If you know the legends, then many of the surprises will not be very surprising. Having said that, however, the explanations for the plot twists are intriguing and “new” so there’s still lots to leave audiences hanging. Technically speaking, the movie was pretty cool too. Einstein-Rosen Bridge = Bifrost? I bought it – and the special effect really helped to sell it.

I have to give Marvel serious kudos – they are on their way to making this Avengers adventure really epic. Can’t wait for the next instalment. 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: