Monday, June 25, 2012

m.conferencecall

(This is my first mobile post. I expect many hilarious auto changes.)

In beautiful and (finally) sunny California for the ALA conference. Unlike the superconference, I don't really know anyone here at all and the gives me a lot of free time in between sessions. Like now.

I am struck by the ordinariness of the attendees as well. Every Feb, we play drinking games called Hip/Cats, where we take imaginary shots whenever we see a hipster librarian or a genuine cat lady. A conspicuous absence of both in California, where everyone is just.. average.

Also, for such a BIG conference, there's a real lack of tech. Last night, at the SciFi session, the moderator actually had a Word document up on the projector with a link to the survey. Hello ... QR code?
Despite all this, I'm coming home bursting with ideas. Of course, the hardest part of any conference is coming home to the reality of work: where I'm sure to meet resistance to anything cool. Not from my staff (who are all sorts of awesome if ALA is any measurement) but from my peers and bosses. I mean, I can't even convince them that Facebook is real library tool - where do I even start when it comes to mobile libraries and online book reviews (eRA) and roving tablet reference?

It has been truly rejuvenating to be here and I've already sent several "ALA ideas" off to the people who have some influence. I am, however, preparing for a complete lack of uptake.

For my part, I'm taking as much of this stuff home as possible. I've sent a few emails to set up meetings for when I return to discuss things like QR Callouts, online scavenger hunts, mobile info kiosks, tablets for info staff, and much more.

On a side note, lest you think I'm a sky writer inking my dreams in the clouds: on my way into Anaheim, I was on a shuttle with 12 other librarians. When we started talking about where we were staying, everyone (except me, of course) pulled out their tablet. Even the Haitian librarians. I'm starting on a business case to replace my computer with a tablet as soon as I get back.

Finally: the scenery.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm totally on board with you for replacing PCs with tablets! Heck, I have one and I would so use it for work purposes ... especially if most of what you do is data look-up instead of data entry. Every show on TV right has tablets: doctors, police officers, admin assistants!

With CoM it all comes down to tax dollars, unfortunately. You mentioned that a lot of the American libraries have private-sector sponsors, do we? If not, why has that never been considered.

The Mayor is always going on about how we are an innovative city, home to sixty-something Fortune 500 companies bla bla bla ... they all pay hundreds of $$ for a seat at her Gala in support of performing arts, and, to be honest, I don't really know where that money really does go seeing as everyone I know pays for music/art lessons (I'm going to plead plain ignorance on this until I research further).

You should start a Librarian's Gala and invite those Fortune 500 clients. Who's gonna say no to supporting libraries? To supporting education?

Definitely do put forth your ideas, even if you're going to get smacked with the proverbial "budget". If anyone can make a difference, I have complete faith that it would be you!

Malecasta said...

Wow, thanks Mags. That Library Gala thing is a great idea - but I don't think our current Director is open to such things though. Perhaps when there's a change in administration. I'll keep that one alive for later. I think it's brilliant. (Can't Microsoft donate some tablets? I mean, we're talking less than 100 to cover all our librarians...)