Saturday, June 23, 2012

surprises

Across the street from the happiest place on earth, taking stock of what I've learned today.
1) When I grow up, I'm going to have a king-sized bed.  Not because I'm a sprawler (in fact, I use extra pillows to bolster myself and - still - turn in place), but because it's the height of luxury to find "cold" spots all night long.

2) I love having lots of towels.  Nothing beats a scrubby towel massage on the soles of my feet after a long day of exhibits.

3) Speaking of exhibits: only a bunch of librarians would treat a conference like a Walmart on Black Friday.

4) I can, indeed, find common ground with anyone.  I don't know if it's a gift or a sign of narcissism.

5) I still don't like travelling alone.  I know, it's very un-feminist to admit that. It's not that I need to travel with others, I simply prefer it.  Today, I had three hours to kill: instead of taking a walk through Disneyland and riding things, I surfed the Internet at the convention centre and then headed "home" for a shower.  It's not the same by myself.  (And no, it doesn't have to be a boy - AnCe and Nish are the best travel mates I could hope for and I missed them today.)

6) I am more organised and committed than I realise.  There we were, programs and maps spread out over two tables and I had already figured out my sessions and my walking plans; she had not even looked at them yet.  She, who strikes terror into the hearts of so many, turned to me and said "so, what do you think I should check out?"  She spent the afternoon planning; I spent it napping.

7) There are good men out there: men with humour, stamina and patience.  Men who don't just put up with bossy boots, they love and appreciate the benefits of that particular footwear.  They are men who will carry heavy bags like Sherpas, will hold open doors, and will (with great panache) regale you with stories.  They are marathon bikers and roller-coaster riders. They are generous with their time and conversation.  And they marry librarians.

8)...there's hope yet!

9) I am spoiled by fast Internet.  And while I appreciate the free WiFi, these 90s-esque speeds are enough to test even my patience.

2 comments:

Diana said...

Vacationing alone is hard but a life without vacations is harder.

Malecasta said...

Shudder. I don't like to think of such horrors.