Monday, June 11, 2012

Now Playing: Snow White and the Huntsman

I'm really slow on this, but really I was so underwhelmed, it took a lot of effort to actually sit and write a review of Snow White and the Huntsman.  So much so, it will be short.  But first: disclosed biases.

I love fairy tales.  No, I really do.  The magic and intrigue, exotic places, dangerous beasts, beautiful princesses, (sometimes strong too), witches and wizards, and enchantments...and villains.  I love the villains.  For me, a good story can only be held up by an excellent baddie.  In terms of villains, the Stepmother is an indelible part of my psyche (Snow White, Cinderella, Cymbeline).  Oh yes, I love me a good villain and Ms. Theron did not disappoint.  I felt sorry for her, reviled by her, equal parts fear and respect.  Perfect.
I love Chris Hemsworth.  There.  I said it.  He's what a leading man should be: handsome, capable, charming and a little mischievous.  And he, too, delivered.  In spades.

The script was good and the directing was solid. Even the side characters were decent.

I only had one trepidation: Kristen Stewart.  I tried to be fair, to not hold her solely responsible for the entire Twilight awfulness.  What little of her "acting" I saw was mostly relegated to slack-jawed staring into the lights.  But, you know, that's the character she plays, right?  As HHT (nee H2) warned, "considering they don't even let her speak in the trailers, I'd say outlook is not good" ...boy, was she prophetic.  That girl, single-handed, dragged down the whole affair.  I kept thinking: "close your goddamn mouth!"  People should not cast in anything.  Ever.

Sadly, she is one of the eponymous characters and for that, I have to give it 2.5 out of 5 stars.  1 each for Theron and Hemsworth and a half for the gorgeous scenery.

No comments: