Saturday, September 29, 2012

Now Playing: Expendables 2

In our continuing quest to spend a ginormous amount of AMC coupons before December 31, Jadek and I took in a weeknight show of Expendables 2.  Like the last one, the movie was really just a bunch of action scenes stitched together with bad dialogue. 

And I do mean bad.  Hoo-ey!  There were some stinkers in there - but really?  That didn't bother me as much as the missed opportunities.  There's this great exchange between Stallone and Van Damme (who is actually billed as Vilain - no, seriously):
VD: You gonna hurt me?
SS: "I'm not gonna hurt you… I'm gonna take your life."
...really?  Is this a Rambo reference?  If it is, it's obscure; if it isn't, they should have gone with:  "I'm not gonna hurt you… I'm gonna kill you."
There was all sorts of clunkers in there:
Schwarzeneggar: I'll be back.
Willis: You've been back enough.  I'll be back.
Schwarzeneggar: Yippee ki-yay.
...really?  I wish they had given the script to some hardcore action nerds.  With all the interaction between these mega-stars, there should have been gold in every exchange.

Okay, I hear you. 
You're saying "hey, it's an action flick, not Shakespeare!"  And, you're right.  Having just watched Resident Evil: Retribution, I had something to which I could compare the action sequences.  So, I still think Retribution was better - tighter, edgier and just plain more fun.  Expendables has its moments and I did enjoy the realism of the bloodshed (lots of it, but without becoming silly like a horror movie), but in the end, it was just meh.

As for the acting: not bad, really.  Liam Hemsworth looks so damn shiny compared to these grizzled veterans, he was a little distracting.  And Van Damme makes a great villain (or Vilain) - he looked doing it too, until he took off his sunglasses and reminded us all just how old this cast is. 

All in all, I think the first one was better and that this one was okay.  2.5 out of 5 stars.  I'm looking forward to E3, where I hope to see Snipes, Russell, and, if we're all very good children, maybe some Jovovich.

No comments: