Friday, September 28, 2012

Now Playing: Resident Evil: Retribution

So I'm back from Japan and what's the first movie I see?  Resident Evil: Retribution.  If you haven't watched the previous four movies starring the perfectly preserved Milla Jovovich, you should really start from the beginning.  Long-time followers are well rewarded in the fifth instalment, with cameos and references and reimaginings (oh my!).

The action sequences are really really great.  The first few minutes has ALICE in a white tunnel, devoid of much (except the infected and guns) - it was clean and beautiful to watch her execute at least forty baddies using more than just bullets.  I think that's what really sold the movie for me: the sequences are so well planned, it explains how a few "professionals" can take out hundreds of shamblers.  ALICE herself just gets more and more badass as time wears on - clearly her adaptive programming is working to its fullest potential.  Honestly, this may have been my favourite of the franchise.  4 out of 5 stars.

Oh, and one more thing: I was clearly biased from the get-go.  .  You know how commercials always precede the previews?  Well, they positioned the Retribution trailer between the two - you can see how effective that was (despite the obvious and glaring schilling for Sony).

No comments: